Saturday, October 23, 2004

 

I lost my accent!

Am definitely not among those who read newspaper on a regular basis.But here i am these days reading aloud from the newspapers or any magazine i can get my hands at.Here i go again.."A joint STF team proved to be Veerappan’s nemesis, but it was a doctor who brainwashed the brigand to move out of the
forest for eye treatment. An STF source said a doctor from Dharmapuri whom Veerappan had trusted helped the Tamil Nadu STF to lay the trap. The STF official told ..."well i definitely cant attribute this to my yearning to be updated with things happening around...All this and more for me getting into an american accent lingo!!!sounds weird though!!!
It was my first time with an american client, but my shock was unbelievable. The lady on the other end kept asking me to repeat myself. In my naivety, I thought we had a bad connection. Only later I realised that she really had not understood a word I was saying.Then summoning all my patience, I spoke as slowly as I could to the lady, until she understood what I explained. Exasperated and exhausted from my 15-minute conversation accosted by accents from different part of the world phew! What a day I was having. I sat back quietly in my cabin and listened to the accents drifting in and out of the speaker phone next to me.
well..that saw the beginning of my american accent training program!Now i am bombarded from the people around in my team about the importance of this and what more, they have also taken the responsibily to dump a thing or two in me to get rid of my"vernacular accent" as they say!"we are literally translating out dialogues from our mother tongues to english,which has its own fun.i studied in an Indian school,British english.american english actually made me squirm when i first got familiar with it,but then you realise that it is not bad,or demeaning to the language itself,if people from one region add their own touch to it...."-and they went on and
on... But then I noticed one thing,when Indians try to speak in a fake accent its really visible,I mean I might understand an american without any problem but once an indian tries to fake an accent its just visible that he is trying very hard to get it.hmm hope this doesnt make me a stranger to my own spicy british accent!T
here goes this cell phone of mine..with my dad at the other end..checking in how updated i am with the happenings in my state..and me proudly showing off my knowledge of veerapans capture!!!looks like the accent training program realy helps..eh!!!


Comments:
Ameeriga la uzhaichindu irukura marumaganuke accent illa...India la vettiya ukkandhutu irukura maamiyaaruku accent vendi kadaka?? :p
 
well marumagane!! ungaloda saatharana engliseee kalakals than pong...athula american vera thevaiyeah:-)
 
I can vouch for u, no sensible company asks u for AMERICAN ACCENT! that is farce and hype!

U jus need a clear accent with no splits and coughs of ur mother tongue accent at all....


and u know who this is tormenting u again.. :)
 
well..you tormentor(if such a word exists!)yeah..well..more than the accent training..its the accent neutralisation thats happ here...still sounds weird;)
 
yep..that wod exists...."tormentor" i mean..

shall we ask Ensim ppl to start vocab classess too..? :)

if accent neutralisations is wht is happenin' really, mighty good for u..coz u need that badly... :P cheerios.


- the same tormentor
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?